Director(Technical Listening), Global Listening Centre.
Head of Institute for Sustainability in Civil Engineering.
Prof. Marzia Traverso, full professor and head of the Institute and Chair of Sustainability in Civil Engineering in RWTH Aachen since 1 June 2017. PhD of Environmental Technical Physics of University of Palermo, and environmental engineer, working in the field of Life Cycle Assessment and sustainability performance of building and transport sector and strategic environmental assessment to the transportation urban systems. From August 2008 to October 2011, she was post doc. scientific assistant and lecturer at the Chair of Sustainability Engineering of Technische Universitaet Berlin, main research topics were the Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment and Social Life Cycle Assessment. From Nov. 2011 to March 2016, she was project manager at the research and innovation centre of BMW Group. She was responsible of the sustainability performance and LCA of several cars, such as: BMW i3, BMW i8, 7series. From May 2016 to April 2017 Scientific Officer at European Commission, JRC Seville in Product Bureau, responsible of the development of criteria for GPP on Street Lighting and Traffic signals, GPP of Transport and Framework for Building Sector. Author and reviewer of several scientific papers in journal such as Sustainability, Int. Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Industrial Ecology. Subject editor in Social life cycle Assessment in the Int. Journal of LCA.
– Traverso M, Is social life cycle assessment really struggling in development or is it on a normal path towards harmonization/standardization?. Editorial published on line in Int J of Life Cycle Assess, 04 October 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-017-1387-7.
– Pastor M, Schatz T, Traverso M, Wagner V, Hinrichsen O, 2017. Social aspects of water consumption: risk of access to unimproved drinking water and to unimproved sanitation facilities—an example from the automobile industry. Published on line in Int J of Life Cycle Assess, 13 July 2017 10.1007/s11367-017-1342-7.
– Tarne P, Traverso M, Finkbeiner M, 2017. Review of Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment and Potential for Its Adoption at an Automotive Company. Published in Sustainability journal 9(4), 670; doi:10.3390/su9040670, 23 April 2017
– Traverso M, Bell L, Saling P, Fontes J, 2016. Towards social life cycle assessment: a quantitative product social impact assessment. Published on line in Int J of Life Cycle Assess, 10 September 2016 10.1007/s11367-016-1168-8
– Petti L, Sanchez Ramirez P.K, Traverso M, Ugaya C.U.L, 2016. An Italian tomato “Cuore di Bue” case study: challenges and benefits using subcategory assessment method for social life cycle assessment. Published on line in Int J of Life Cycle Assess, 03 August 2016 10.1007/s11367-016-1175-9
CV- Prof. Marzia Traverso 2 27/12/17
– João Fontes J, Tarne P, Traverso M, Bernstein P, 2016. Product social impact assessment. Published on line in Int J of Life Cycle Assess, 07 July 2016 10.1007/s11367-016-1125-6
– Traverso M, Kim P., Brattig S., Wagner V., 2015. Managing Life Cycle Sustainability Aspects in the Automotive industry. Chapter 24 of the Book Life Cycle Management, Editor Spinger, Seite: 331-339
ISBN: 978-94-017-7221-1 > DOI: 10.1007/978-94-017-7221-1_24
– Traverso M., Tarne P., Wagner V., 2015. Towards a comprehensive approach for the sustainability assessment of a product: product social impact assessment. Proceeding of 6th International Munich Chassis Symposium 2015, chassis. tech plus, Published by Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden 2015. DOI 10.1007/978-3-658-09711-0_1.
– Neugebauer, Traverso, Scheumann, Chang, Wolf, Finkbeienr, 2014. Impact Pathways to Address Social Well-being and Social Justice in SLCA – Fair Wage and Level of Education. Published in Sustainability journal 6(8) 4839-457, doi:10.3390/su6084839, http://10.3390/su6084839, 2014.
– Martínez-Blanco Julia, Lehmann Annekatrin, Muńoz Pere, Antón Assumpció, Traverso Marzia, Rieradevall Joan, Finkbeiner Matthias, (2013). Application challenges for the social LCA of fertilizers within life cycle sustainability assessment. Published online by Journal of Cleaner Production 23 January 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.01.044 .
– Lehmann A, Zschieschang E, Traverso M, Finkbeiner M, Schebek L (2013). Social aspects for sustainability assessment of technologies—challenges for social life cycle assessment (SLCA). International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, pp. 1-12, ISSN: 0948-3349, doi: 10.1007/s11367-013-0594-0, May 2013
– E. Schau, M. Traverso, M. Finkbeiner (2012). Life cycle approach to sustainability assessment: A case study of remanufactured alternators. Journal of Remanufacturing, 2012, 2:5, DOI: 10.1186/2210-4690-2-5, December 2012
– S. Valdivia, C. M.L. Ugaya, J. Hildenbrand, M. Traverso, B. Mazijn, G. Sonnemann (2012). A UNEP/SETAC approach towards a life cycle sustainability assessment – our contribution to Rio+20. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, DOI 10.1007/s11367-012-0529-1. March 2012
– Traverso, M., Finkbeiner, M., Jørgensen, A. and Schneider, L. (2012). Life Cycle Sustainability Dashboard. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 680–688. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012. 00497.x July 2012
– C. Benoît-Norris, G. Vickery-Niederman, S. Valdivia, J. Franze, M. Traverso, A. Ciroth and B. Mazijn (2011). Introducing the UNEP/SETAC methodological sheets for subcategories of social LCA. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 2011-05-31, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, ISSN: 0948-3349, pag. 1- 9, May 2011
– Finkbeiner, M.; Schau, E.; Lehmann, A.; Traverso, M. Towards Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment. Sustainability 2010, 2(10), 3309-3322, http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/2/10/3309/, October 2010
– Traverso M., Rizzo G., Finkbeiner M., 2010. Environmental performance of building materials: Life Cycle Assessment of a typical Sicilian marble. Edited in the International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol 15, No. (2010), pagg 104-114, ISSN 0948-3349. December 2009